Since commercial buildings are subject to the same natural hazards and weather conditions as residential buildings, it’s a good idea to keep an eye on your commercial building’s roof, as it’s the first line of defense in protecting the physical business from the elements. The following signs—both indoors and out—indicate that you may have a leak or other roof concern, and signals the Importance of Commercial Roof Cover Maintenance and Repair
- Water stains on a ceiling – indicates a water leak caused by a crack or hole in the roof
- Unexplained mold or odors inside – sign of a roof leak resulting in water penetration
- Standing water—or ponding—on the roof – can lead to premature aging or deterioration of the cover, which can cause rusting, rotting, leaks, issues with insulation, as well as weakening of the roof deck due to the extra weight from the water
- Bubbles – indicates trapped moisture and can lead to leaks and a reduction in the effectiveness of withstanding wind
- Gaps in the flashing or roof cover perimeter – can lead to roof cover failure during high wind, as well as water intrusion and mold
- Tears in the roof cover, along with worn or cracking seams – allows water to enter below the cover
- Loose lightning protection system, along with disconnected cables or aerials – can lead to tears or punctures in the roof cover and cease to provide the intended protection
- Skylights that are not well-sealed, or cracked domed panels – can lead to leaks and allow rain or debris to enter the building
Through regular preventative maintenance and care, you’ll be able to keep your commercial building’s roof in good working order. Plan to schedule an inspection every six months—ideal times are in the fall and the spring—to ensure that you’re not accidentally sidetracked from the important task of maintaining your commercial building’s roof. Keep in mind the following tips as you or your Commerce City roofing specialists inspect the roof:
- Inspect your roof after every major storm—whether involving high wind, hail, or heavy rain—as repeated storms can weaken the roof.
- Look for signs of previous leaks or other problems to make sure repairs are intact.
- Remove loose objects and accumulated debris, as a clean roof inhibits moisture from collecting and causing problems down the road.
- Keep trees trimmed, and check the gutters and downspouts for leaves, twigs, and other debris to ensure proper drainage.
- Inspect rooftop vents and equipment to make sure they are well-sealed.
- After a hail storm, have your roof inspected even if you’re not sure any damage resulted from the hail.
The Roof Dr. specializes in quality residential and commercial roofing services
. With over 43 years in the business, their roofing professionals can properly inspect, repair, or replace your Commerce City commercial building’s roof.